Latest Local News
The Leland Town Council race has two open seats, with six candidates competing for those spots. Mayor Pro Tem Pat Batleman and Councilor Bob Corriston are not running. WHQR spoke with the candidates about how they view their town — which is one of the fastest-growing municipalities in the state. In Part II, find interviews with Louis Harmati, Bill McHugh, and Richard Holloman.
The $1.25 billion New Hanover Community Endowment leaders want public input, talk transparency and county boundaries
WHQR News Director Ben Schachtman is with us to offer something of a primer on the municipal races on the ballot this fall. You'll come away with a better idea of who’s on the ballot and why, what the pressing local issues are this year, and you don’t even have to listen directly to politicians.
All throughout October, The Newsroom will feature special coverage of the 2021 elections for Wilmington's city council and mayoral seats. With eight candidates for council and a head-to-head battle for mayor, it will be an interesting month.
More Local News
- This week on The Newsroom: Wilmington mayoral candidates Harper Peterson and Bill Saffo
- Wilmington considers rebooting proposal process for city-owned land on Castle Street
- New Hanover county manager rolls out $89 million 'community violence' plan, commissioners split over how exactly to move forward
- EPA announces roadmap for aggressive regulation of PFAS, a family of chemicals long left unchecked
- New Hanover County will spend nearly $2 million in ARP funds on Carolina Beach Road affordable housing project
- New Hanover commissioners hear presentation on the region's growing 'Blue Economy'
Culture / Arts / Inside HQR
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Janette Hopper
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Annette Freeman
- Cinematique Pop-Up Featuring The Eyes of Tammy Faye and The Velvet Underground
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Art by Nugget
- Around with Rhonda Bellamy: Susan Habas of Thalian Association Community Theater
- StoryCorps Kicks Off Month-long Recording Session in Wilmington
Port City Politics
Week of September 13 - Transparency and accountability questions about NHC's school safety approach, plus leaked Novant video, and memories of FlorenceOn this episode of the podcast: New Hanover County commissioners unanimously approved giving the county manager access to $350 million to tackle 'community violence and school safety, a 'frank discussion' from an internal Novant meeting gets leaked, and three years later we remember Hurricane Florence... fondly?
- A Major Report Warns Climate Change Is Accelerating And Humans Must Cut Emissions Now
- San Francisco shut down its In-N-Out for not checking patrons' vaccination status
- White House drops free community college from its spending bill
- The U.S. is ready to roll out the COVID vaccine once it's approved for kids age 5-11
- Despite climate change promises, governments plan to ramp up fossil fuel production
- Nikolas Cruz pleads guilty to the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Coverage of council and mayoral elections from Wilmington and surrounding towns.
Keep in touch with WHQR