Latest Local News
WHQR’s Community Agenda project has reached more than 900 community members, asking them one question: what should Wilmington city council candidates be talking about? Homelessness is in the top five, as the unhoused population has increased significantly since last year.
Both Cliff Cash and Nancy Witter are professional comedians, have played to sold-out houses across these United States, and call the Cape Fear region home. On this episode they explore the craft of comedy and how it's evolved for them.
On today’s show, highlights from our most recent Cape Fear Conversations event. This is our third event, this time focusing on the issue of homelessness — looking at what factors are pushing people out of housing, what we get wrong about them and what they’re going through, and about how we might help get them back on track.Our panelists for this event were Katrina Knight, Clayton Hammerski, Karen Garcia, Katelyn Mattox, and Pastor Meg McBride. WHQR reporter Kelly Kenoyer hosted.
More Local News
- Brunswick County secures $400k grant for drug treatment court
- "It's overwhelming": CFCC and LINC program helps people rebuild their lives after incarceration
- The Dive: ILM's soaring, revenge travel, and Wilmington's PPD purchase perk
- State Senate candidates settle defamation suit, Marcia Morgan admits campaign ads ‘not based in actual fact’
- 'Bioinspiration': A UNCW scientist's work on the humble hogfish could have far-reaching implications
- After gutting oversight department, CFCC had to repay state funds for miscalculating FTE
Evenings on 92.7fm Classical HQR
Cape Fear Rundown
Welcome back to the Cape Fear Rundown. This week we've got a quick recap and explainer about the latest news!
Port City Politics
On this episode, we dig into the complicated world of cannabanoids and drug laws. Plus, the latest on the civil suit filed by the former director of the drug lab once run by the Wilmington Police Department, and a trip down the rabbit hole of North Carolina's notoriously opaque Grand Jury system.
- Michael Connelly, Nikki Grimes, Judy Blume and other authors unite against book bans
- Los Angeles is using AI to predict who might become homeless and help before they do
- Trump's voters are more excited than Biden's. But Trump could lose a lot if convicted
- After nearly 3 decades a suspect is charged in Tupac Shakur's murder
- Elon Musk is being sued for libel for accusing a man of having neo-Nazi links
- 4 takeaways from the historic ousting of House Speaker Kevin McCarthy
- Vatican gathering tackles topics from women in ministry to LGBTQ+ Catholics
- New women's pro volleyball league just doubled its funding, thanks to famous investors
- 5 people were wounded in a shooting at Morgan State University
- Tarantulas in Colorado are on the move, and they're looking for love
- Dan Bishop voted to keep Kevin McCarthy, while Patrick McHenry is now interim speaker
- School superintendent turnover is rising. A leader aims to ‘keep down the noise’ amid culture wars.
- Autumn activities could lead to fall flames, officials warn as wildfire season ramps up
- A new study shows how COVID-19 websites fail accessibility standards
- NC governor vetoes two bills over environmental concerns
- NC governor vetoes 2 bills, saying they hurt his climate and environment efforts
- Expanded prison medical release eligibility provides opportunity for more sick, aging incarcerated people to go home before they die
- Albemarle pays $218M to settle allegations of foreign bribery
- A new school will train U.S. troops to fight a growing threat: small, weaponized drones
- Why one textile company decided to expand in North Carolina