Latest Local News
Wilmington City Council fails to agree on proposal for city-owned land on Castle Street, discussion postponed to next year
After much discussion in Monday morning's agenda meeting and last night’s meeting, Wilmington City Council was still left with confusion and concerns regarding the proposal to redevelop the former WAVE bus station on Castle Street.
WHQR News Director Ben Schachtman is with us to offer something of a primer on the municipal races on the ballot this fall. You'll come away with a better idea of who’s on the ballot and why, what the pressing local issues are this year, and you don’t even have to listen directly to politicians.
All throughout October, The Newsroom will feature special coverage of the 2021 elections for Wilmington's city council and mayoral seats. With eight candidates for council and a head-to-head battle for mayor, it will be an interesting month.
More Local News
- The $1.25 billion New Hanover Community Endowment leaders want public input, talk transparency and county boundaries
- This week on The Newsroom: Wilmington mayoral candidates Harper Peterson and Bill Saffo
- Wilmington considers rebooting proposal process for city-owned land on Castle Street
- New Hanover county manager rolls out $89 million 'community violence' plan, commissioners split over how exactly to move forward
- EPA announces roadmap for aggressive regulation of PFAS, a family of chemicals long left unchecked
- New Hanover County will spend nearly $2 million in ARP funds on Carolina Beach Road affordable housing project
Culture / Arts / Inside HQR
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Janette Hopper
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Annette Freeman
- Cinematique Pop-Up Featuring The Eyes of Tammy Faye and The Velvet Underground
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Art by Nugget
- Around with Rhonda Bellamy: Susan Habas of Thalian Association Community Theater
- StoryCorps Kicks Off Month-long Recording Session in Wilmington
Port City Politics
Week of September 27 - IATSE strike, Woody White resigns, Vantaca scores incentive offer, and Covid updateOn this episode of the podcast: A potential strike by the IASTE union could disrupt projects by Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming-service companies, Woody White resigns in protest from the UNCW Board, Wilmington-based Vantaca scores over a million dollars in grant offers, and what's the latest on boosters, third shots, and other vaccine news?
- A Major Report Warns Climate Change Is Accelerating And Humans Must Cut Emissions Now
- Nikolas Cruz pleads guilty on all charges in Parkland school shooting rampage
- Rahm Emanuel addresses handling of Chicago police shooting during ambassador hearing
- Haitian gang wants $1 million ransom for each of the 17 kidnapped missionaries
- The Freedom To Vote Act is the latest fight in a bitter battle over voting rights
- From bankruptcy to IPO in a year? It's a tune Guitar Center might play
Coverage of council and mayoral elections from Wilmington and surrounding towns.
Keep in touch with WHQR