All North Carolina Public Schools Closing, Large Gatherings Banned
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper on Saturday ordered all schools in the state to close for at least two weeks, joining other states around the country switching to online learning as the coronavirus spreads. Cooper said he is also issuing an executive order banning all gatherings of more than 100 people. Meanwhile local businesses are adjusting.
Cooper had already strongly discouraged large gatherings, but said several venues continued their events. The governor's order makes it mandatory.
North Carolina joins more than half a dozen other states in ordering statewide school closures as officials try to slow the spread of coronavirus.
The StarNews reports that Front Street Brewery in downtown Wilmington released a list of its new procedures. Owner Tom Harris said he encourages all other restaurants throughout the city, county and state to adopt similar precautions.
- GermX hand sanitizing stations have been installed throughout the restaurant.
- Laminated, non-porous menus are being used and sanitized for each new guest.
- Sanitizing not only includes tables but all seating and tabletop condiments. Individual condiment packets will soon be available at request.
- Bar stools have been removed to allow more social distancing between customers in the bar area.
- Monitoring and restricting the number of people in the bar area.
- Offering guests the option of plastic glassware and shrink wrapped plastic dinnerware.
- Any staff member who exhibits system will be sent home immediately.
- Any customers with a recurring cough will be asked to leave.
OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE GOVERNOR’S OFFICE
RALEIGH: Governor Roy Cooper today ordered all K-12 public schools in North Carolina to close for a minimum of two weeks in response to COVID-19. The Executive Order also bans gatherings of more than 100 people. North Carolina currently has 23 people in 12 counties who have tested positive for COVID-19.
“We do not have the luxury of a wait-and-see approach. These are hard decisions but they are necessary so we can learn more about the virus,” Governor Cooper said. “We do not want any regrets in the rearview mirror, and I am guided by one objective – doing what we must to keep people from getting sick and to make sure that those who do can get excellent care."
The Executive Order directs all public schools to close beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 for at least two weeks. The two-week period allows time for North Carolina to further understand the impact of COVID-19 across the state and develop a plan for continued learning for students should a longer closure be needed. Governor Cooper made the decision in consultation with State Board of Education Chair Eric Davis, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Mark Johnson, and North Carolina Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen.
Governor Cooper has appointed an Education and Nutrition Working Group to develop a plan to ensure that children and families are supported while schools are closed. The working group will focus on issues including nutrition, health, childcare access for critical health care and other front-line workers and learning support for children at home.
The Working Group will be co- chaired by Susan Gale Perry, Chief Deputy Secretary of NC DHHS and David Stegall, Ed.D, Deputy State Superintendent of Innovation at DPI, and will have representatives from DPI, NC DHHS, the State Board of Education, as well as other education, nutrition and childcare associations.
“I am standing up this new working group to ensure that children have enough food to eat, families have care in safe places for their young children, and student learning continues,” Governor Cooper said.
In addition to closing schools, the Executive Order prohibits mass gatherings that bring together more than 100 people in a single room or space, such as an auditorium, stadium, arena, large conference room, meeting hall, theater, or other confined indoor or outdoor space, including parades, fairs and festivals. Violations of the order are punishable as a Class 2 misdemeanor.
The ban on gatherings does not include airports, bus and train stations, medical facilities, libraries, shopping malls and spaces where people may be in transit. Office environments, restaurants, factories, or retail or grocery stores are also excluded.
The Order received concurrence by members of the NC Council of State without objection. The full executive order is available here.
For more information, please visit the CDC’s website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus and NCDHHS’ website at www.ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus, which includes daily updates on positive COVID-19 test results in North Carolina.