*Update Monday, April 5 at 12:30 p.m. -- The Wilmington Police Department has ruled the death of David Bostian, Jr. a suicide by gun.
The Wilmington Police Department have confirmed that David Bostian, Jr. was found dead at his residence this morning by officers responding to a 911 call.
The cause of death is still under investigation -- and is not being called a homicide investigation at this time -- but no further details have yet been released; according to WPD, more information will be provided once a thorough investigation is completed."
Earlier this morning, Bostian was arrested by the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office. He is charged with two counts of sexual offense by a government employee; according to the Sheriff’s Office, a female victim reported to law enforcement that the offenses allegedly took place in 1992, when she was a 16-year-old student at New Hanover High School.
Bostian was released on a $150,000 unsecured bond, meaning no up-front cash payment was required. After leaving jail, he resigned his position as assistant principal of Noble Middle School. Bostian had been employed with the New Hanover County School district since 1985.
District Attorney Ben David's office says it can not prosecute a deceased suspect, and that "cases that are pending at the time at a defendant's death are dismissed by our office and marked 'abated by death.'"
NHCS released the following statement from Superintendent Dr. Charles Foust on Friday afternoon:
I want to offer my deepest condolences to everyone affected by this case,” said New Hanover County Schools (NHCS) superintendent Dr. Charles Foust. “We will wrap support around the Noble Middle School students and staff members during this difficult time. We also will remain vigilant to protect children and provide safe learning environments in all of our schools.”
NHCS provided crisis counseling today for students and staff members at Noble Middle School and will continue to support the school community as needed.