The Classical Host of WHQR Public Radio (Classical HQR) will work to execute the station’s overall mission through its classical music sound and content. Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Classical Host will serve as the station’s principal liaison with the area arts community, especially with regard to music. Principal duties are hosting local weekday classical music; preparation of a daily Cultural Calendar; and a daily 10-minute arts interview or feature. Other duties may include production of concerts, either live or pre-recorded; program production of the same; fundraising preparation and pitching; preparation of material for the station’s website; and other duties as assigned. In short, the successful candidate will be adaptable and flexible, with background experience and aptitude to handle a variety of arts-related production and on-air tasks at the station.
Note: WHQR Public radio operates two principal services: HQR news on 91.3 FM, HD1 and streaming; and Classical HQR on 96.7 FM, 91.3/HD2 and streaming.
- Serve as the principal liaison for the arts on Classical HQR
- Host weekday classical music shift (20-25 hours per week)
- Prepare and record daily Cultural Calendar (c. 90 seconds)
- Conduct a daily interview (c. 10 minutes) with figures from area arts community and others
- Coordinate and set up for concerts, either in-station or on location
- Read occasional local stories prepared by news staff
- Announce according to standards of professional delivery in a public radio environment
- Be capable of filling in on other air shifts as necessary
- Participate in on-air fundraising
- Work with station website and social media to support the role of arts and music coverage
- Work well within a team environment
- Work within station policy as articulated by station management to further the policies of the Board of Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcasting
- Demonstrated skills in announcing and program hosting (especially classical music)
- Good people skills
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Interviewing experience desirable
- Web and social media experience desirable
- Familiarity with automation systems, especially AudioVault, desirable
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits as determined for applicable WHQR employees by Board policy. Friends of Public Radio, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Position open until filled, with application review beginning December 10, 2014. Projected start date: February, 2015. Submit: Letter of application; resume; names and numbers of three references to: Cleve Callison, Classical Host Search, WHQR Public Radio, 254 N. Front Street, Wilmington, NC 28403. Preferred: all materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.