Revamped New Hanover County Non-Profit Funding Approach Underway
This week New Hanover County’s revamped process for funding non-profit agencies gets underway. The approach was approved by county commissioners last November, and aims to offer a more objective structure to funding such organizations.
A new seven-member committee will now sift through applications for the funding of agencies, making recommendations on how county money should be allocated.
That means non-profits like Continuum of Care for Homelessness, the Good Shepherd Center, and Recovery Resource Center will now go through a more formal, organized application process.
In the past, county commissioners would often debate how much specific agencies would receive, and the procedure became at times political.
Commissioners hope this new process will remove the politics from the funding of these agencies.
County commissioners will have final say over the allocations.
The first meeting of the Non-County Agency Funding Committee is Wednesday, and all are open to the public.
All meetings of the Non-County Agency Funding Committee will be at the New Hanover County Government Center, located at 230 Government Center Drive in Wilmington, and start at 12:30 pm:
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 in Finance Conference Room #500
- Wednesday, February 14, 2018 in Human Resources Training Room B
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 in Harrell Conference Room #601
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 in Harrell Conference Room #601
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018 in Finance Conference Room #500
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018 in Harrell Conference Room #601