THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS PASSED AND WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. THANK YOU.
WHQR Station Manager- Wilmington, NC
The station manager is responsible for delivering the strategic intent of WHQR, a community-licensed public radio station operating both news and classical music channels in historic downtown Wilmington, NC. We are seeking a leader with the vision, energy and experience to build on our commitment to the information and entertainment needs of our listeners, while expanding our engagement with the wider community. The manager will oversee all staff, programming, administrative, financial, and operational aspects of WHQR.
- Minimum 5 years successful experience in broadcasting, journalism, communications, business, marketing or related field which includes operational responsibility.
- Proven organizational leadership skills and success at supervising teams.
- Experience in developing, delivering and leading the execution of strategic plans.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally in both oral and written form with colleagues, volunteers, board members and donors.
- Ability to encourage and support an inclusive, diverse and creative working environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage WHQR staff, including goal setting, coaching, establishing development, succession and hiring plans.
- Provide oversight of news and classical programming, and of the station's physical plant and facilities.
- Prepare and manage station budgets, maintain required records, and provide financial and other periodic reports to the Board of Directors.
- Support and enhance fundraising efforts including membership development, underwriting, and special events along with major donor cultivation and development.
- Represent the station in the broader community via event attendance, organization membership, and other outreach opportunities.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to periodically refresh the WHQR Strategy.
- Maintain compliance with FCC regulations.
- Experience with and appreciation for National Public Radio.
- Enthusiasm for our local community and the role WHQR plays.
- Familiarity with broadcast news and appreciation of the news, arts, and entertainment programming that WHQR provides.
- Understanding of emerging trends in radio and public broadcasting including digital platforms, social media, and podcasts.
- Experience with creating and developing foundations.
How to Apply:
For consideration, please submit a resume, a letter of introduction and three professional references at StationManagerSearch@whqr.org.
To learn more about WHQR go to…
All resumes must be received by October 24, 2019.
WHQR is an enthusiastic equal opportunity employer.