Latest Local News
This week, New Hanover County Commissioners were presented with the county’s recommended budget for fiscal year 2023. Some commissioners noted certain non-profits were receiving less funding compared to previous years.
The Honey Head filmmakers describe what they do as putting a narrative spin on the creative world. The company is run and staffed by women. They say they’re breaking down barriers not only as female filmmakers — but as full-time working artists in Wilmington, North Carolina.
This week, the WHQR news team, along with guests from Port City Daily and WECT, break down the major issues and how they shaped the results of Tuesday's election — which saw some unexpected upsets for incumbents, strong performances from newcomers, and higher voter turnout than in past years.
More Local News
- Chair Julia Olson-Boseman loses Democratic primary; Republicans Tom Toby and LeAnn Peirce move forward to November
- Pat Bradford, Veronica McLaurin-Brown emerge as top party candidates in NHC School Board race
- Primary 2022 results: Olson-Boseman loses, McMahon wins, school board results are tight
- Former NHCS teacher found guilty of sexual offenses against students, attorneys say civil case heading to trial
- New Hanover County voters head to the polls for primary Election Day
- City of Wilmington on track to meet climate emission and clean energy goals for 2035 and 2050
Culture / Arts / Inside HQR
- In Conversation with Albert "Tootie" Heath
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Linda Wilson and Jim Desmond
- A Juneteenth Celebration Through Storytelling with Mitch Capel
- The 2022-2023 PNC Broadway Season at the Wilson Center kicks off this October
- Family Farm Day returns to the Children's Museum of Wilmington
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Basile the Comedian
Port City Politics
On this edition, we dig into hundreds of pages of new documents released as part of former Wilmington Police Department officer Brian Gilmore’s civil suit against the city, which paint a fuller picture of how disturbing the case was against Gilmore and fellow officers Kevin Piner and Jesse Moore. Plus, more on the strange case of a man found dead on the Tru Colors brewery property.
- Much of the U.S. could see power blackouts this summer, a grid assessment reveals
- A counselor at Mississippi's only abortion clinic shares her story
- Historic levels of hate crimes are a threat to U.S. democracy, Lipstadt says
- New Mexico wildfire sparks backlash against controlled burns. That's bad for the West
- Much of the U.S. could criminalize abortion. But how will those laws be enforced?
- Body armor, worn by the Buffalo shooter, faces far fewer regulations than guns
- Georgia NAACP is investigating a traffic stop involving a college lacrosse team
- Here's why tech giants want the Supreme Court to freeze Texas' social media law
- Bird-watcher wrongfully accused in Central Park video gets a bird-watching TV show
- Encore: She inscribed 120,000 pennies with a pandemic message. Is one in your pocket?
- How NC families are coping with the baby formula shortage
- Duke Energy submits proposal to cut carbon emissions
- Rep. Madison Cawthorn concedes GOP primary to Edwards
- NC regulators were wrong to ban beer label that had naked man, judge says
- Here are the key primary election results from North Carolina
- Air conditioning lacking in NC prisons, despite funding
- Beach nourishment along Outer Banks will be sustainable for ‘foreseeable future’
- NC Supreme Court won't hear case of Rev. Barber's conviction
- Takeaways from the latest annual report on North Carolina charter schools
- North Carolina National Guard to lend support to Ukraine