Drop The A And The B
On-air challenge:I'm going to give you clues for two words. The first word starts with AB. Drop the AB and you'll get a new word that answers the second clue.
Example: Embarrass / Output of a volcano --> Abash, Ash
1. Missing, as from a class / Mailed
2. Leader of nuns / First lady between Eleanor and Mamie
3. On fire / Lie around idly
4. Like flowers in the spring / Weaving apparatus
5. In another country / Highway
6. Kidnap / Passage for air
7. Avoid liquor / Laundry problem
8. Shorten / Chain of hills
9. Source of mother-of-pearl / By oneself
10. Act of forgiveness for a wrong / Answer
Last week's challenge: This was an April foolish puzzle from Raymond Nardo of Mineola, Long Island. Think of a world capital. Drop the third and fourth letters, and keeping the remaining letters in order you'll name a state. What state is it?
Challenge Answer: Beijing --> being
Winner: Mary Springhorn of Bellingham, Wash.
This week's challenge: This week's challenge comes from listener Bruce Campbell of Kansas City, Mo. Think of a well-known U.S. city. Its population is over a quarter of a million. Phonetically, the first syllable of the city's name plus the first syllable of the name of its state will sound like a well-known brand name. What is it?
If you know the answer to next week's challenge, submit it here. Listeners who submit correct answers win a chance to play the on-air puzzle. Important: Include a phone number where we can reach you by Thursday, April 9, at 3 p.m. ET.
Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.