Most Active Stories
Special Holiday Programs 2011
Fri December 16, 2011
Holiday Programming 2011
Celebrate the Holidays with WHQR's great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, and New Years' programming. Here's our schedule for December 18th through January 1st.
December 18, 2011
- 7PM-8PM : Hanukkah Lights 2011 - NPR's Susan Stamberg and friends set the tone for the Jewish Festival of Lights, which begins at sundown on December 20.
- 8PM-10PM : St. Olaf Christmas Festival - A Service in song and word from the acclaimed choristers of St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota.
December 19, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : Welcome Christmas! - VocalEssence sings in the holiday season.
December 20, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : Chanukah in Story and Song - Leonard Nimoy hosts this celebration of the Jewish Festival of Lights with vocal ensemble The Western Wind. A returning one-hour Chanukah favorite, with Ladino songs of Spanish Jews, Yiddish melodies of Eastern Europe and modern Israeli tunes. Leonard Nimoy is host.
December 21, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : A Chanticleer Christmas - The 12 men of the acclaimed San Francisco-based choral ensemble celebrate the season with songs from around the world and across the centuries.
- 8PM-10PM : Paul Winter Solstice Concert - Every winter for more than a quarter-century, saxophonist Paul Winter has celebrated the longest night of the year with a concert, the Winter Solstice Celebration. NPR has presented the event for 22 years running, held at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in upper Manhattan.
December 22, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : The Rose Ensemble: La Nochebuena - The noted early-music ensemble celebrates a Spanish Renaissance Christmas!
December 23, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : Echoes of Christmas - with the Dale Warland Singers!
- 11PM-12AM : NPR's Piano Jazz Christmas 22 - From The Kennedy Center
December 24, 2011
- 10AM-12PM : A Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols - From King's College, at Cambridge University in England
- 8PM-9PM : A Carolina Christmas from Biltmore Estate - Kathy Mattea is your host for this down-home flavored Christmas special.
- 10PM-12AM : More Jazz Piano Christmas from NPR - From the NPR Music Archives, great jazz performances of music for the holiday season.
December 25, 2011
- 6PM-7PM : NPR's Tinsel Tales - Stories for the Christmas season hosted by NPR's Lynn Neary.
- 8PM-10PM : A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols (repeat) - A re-broadcast of the famous Christmas Eve service from King's College, Cambridge
December 26, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : A Season's Griot - A Season's Griot is the only nationally syndicated Kwanzaa program on public radio. Storyteller Madafo Lloyd Wilson shares tales and traditions of African-American and African peoples. This year the program will explore the concept of peace through storytelling, music and voices from the streets.
December 27, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : Echoes of Christmas (repeat) - with the Dale Warland Singers!
December 28, 2011
- 12PM-1PM : Christmas with the Morehouse and Spelman Glee Clubs - One of the great holiday music traditions of America, hosted by NPR's Korva Coleman. The choirs of two of the most prestigious historically black institutions in the nation join together to present a spine-tingling concert program.
December 31, 2011
- 10PM-1AM : A Prairie Home Companion's Hawaiian New Year's Eve - Taking a break from winter, Garrison Keillor and company ring in the new year in a tropical clime.
January 1, 2012
- 11AM-1PM : New Year's Day from Vienna 2012 - From the Golden Hall of the Musikverein, the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra celebrates the arrival of the new year with waltzes, polkas and more from the Strauss family and others.
- 6PM-7PM : A Season's Griot - A Season's Griot is the only nationally syndicated Kwanzaa program on public radio. Storyteller Madafo Lloyd Wilson shares tales and traditions of African-American and African peoples. This year the program will explore the concept of peace through storytelling, music and voices from the streets.